Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Special Moment Between Educator and Student

Background: Our Siglo XXI (21st Century) class has two papers. One was due about a month ago, and one is due tomorrow. A few weeks ago we had received some feedback from Profe regarding our first papers, but no grade. Stating that said grades are "in his head," he promised to give them to us soon. A few days ago, still having not received the grades, Chelsea and Danny asked him about it, as they wished to know the paper #1 grades before beginning to write paper #2. He said that we would get them before the second paper is due. Tomorrow it is due, and we have not received the grades.

This afternoon the group went to the Hemingway House museum which was lovely. On the bus on the way there, I asked Profe about the paper situation. This was our conversation:

Me: Profe, when will we be getting our paper grades for Siglo?
Profe: CHILL, okay?
Me: [shocked] What?
Profe: Just chill.
Me: I am chill. I'm only wondering because the next one is due tomorrow, right?
Profe: Right.
Me: I just don't want to start that one until I have the grade for this one. I've gathered all my sources for it, but I haven't begun writing it because of that.
Profe: Right.
Me: So when are we going to get them?
Profe: [now yelling so the whole bus can hear, though they were all listening before anyway] Look, you'll get them when you GET THEM, OKAY?
Me: [too angry to continue the conversation] Okay.

I've never felt so disrespected by a professor before. I merely wanted to know WHEN we would get our grades so that I could assess my performance on the first paper before starting to write the second one. To be immediately answered with such hostility and defense is not only uncalled for, but entirely inappropriate.

This evening, the group received an email from Profe with the following final line: "Grades will be sent out tomorrow for you Paper #1 but that should not keep you from doing your second paper." What does this mean? "I haven't done what I promised to do, but don't let that stop you from doing what you're supposed to do, therefore ignoring my incompetence."

No comments:

Post a Comment