Sunday, February 15, 2009

John Adams, meet Carlos Marx.

Yesterday as we were about to catch a cab to the book fair, I received the pleasant news that I had mail. I opened the envelope quickly, and to my surprise and delight, it was a letter and present from Chessie Monks. Chessie works in the rare books department at the Boston Public Library, and is working on a project promoting a traveling collection on John Adams through having John Adams bookmarks travel around the world. ( Check it out here! ) Tucking my own personal patriot into my purse, we went to the fair, and I couldn't help but take some pictures of him there.

The book fair was incredible. There were so many books there, and so so so many people there eager to see what was offered. It was an amazing thing to see - people of all ages enthusiastic about books. A lot of the ones that were sold in Moneda Nacional were second-hand so that they were affordable for everyone. I wish Americans could get that excited about books, but I feel like the whole country is so saturated in consumerism and hyperstimulation that most just simply aren't interested.

And now for the John Adams pictures!

Eager to be a part of the action:
Getting cozy with some of the books:Surveying the Havana skyline at the end of an exciting day:And another photo (without John) solely for its intellectual value:

3 comments:

  1. My, I look quite fetching, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl i love these! i put one up on the blog for now. you are a force to be reckoned with! love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that john adams is a QT. get me his number!

    ReplyDelete